By no means am I an etiquette or blogging expert for that matter but I definitely do have some pet peeves that I wanted to address. I’m sure this post might offend some people but that’s the story of my life and hasn’t stopped me before. I know a lot of bloggers/vloggers that have the same issues so why not just put it out in the air?
- The first thing I wanted to bring up is probably in my eyes the most annoying thing EVER!!!! This is a completely personal opinion and take it how you want it but self promoting on somebody’s blog, YouTube channel, etc is just plain rude… ESPECIALLY when you have no relationship with this blogger and you are not even commenting on the subject at hand. I understand it’s hard to promote yourself when you first start blogging but here’s a tip… be an active member of the blogging community and you will be seen! Start posting on some of the more active beauty boards, tweet with other beauty bloggers, take a genuine interest in other beauty blogs, subscribe to YouTube channels and simply be active! Trust me it rubs me the wrong way when you plug yourself on my site or YouTube channel and I have no clue who you are.
- This goes along with the first pet peeve but please don’t ask me to follow you, subscribe to you, etc on a comment. I think this lacks class and 99 times out of 100 goes ignored. Honestly, I will notice you and I will check out your blog eventually when you are a contributing voice on my YouTube channel or site. I even take time to look at my Twitter followers and their blogs. I WILL subscribe when I genuinely take an interest in the blogging style and topics of the individual. Although this IS my personal opinion, I know for a fact that a lot of people feel the same way.
- Don’t steal content. I mean this should be common sense but apparently it needs to be said. Be original! Nobody wants to read the same post on 7 different beauty blogs. Well I don’t at least…. AND nobody wants their content stolen. Obviously, if you want to use somebody else’s content, ASK THEM and make sure you credit them.
- This goes along with #3 but if you are using images from somebody else’s site, don’t steal bandwidth. Take the necessary steps so that you are hosting the image yourself. Hotlinking is NOT HOT…
- Another pet peeve of mine is when I get asked questions that were obviously in the post or video. I can tell you didn’t read it all or watch the entire video. I don’t expect you watch or read the entire thing but if you have questions???… that’s what the post or video was for. Also, read the info box on YouTube videos. Your question might be answered there. Bloggers take the time to write for the readers so take the time to appreciate their content.
My blogging etiquette post ended up being a rant…. Sorry. It just gets annoying after awhile and somebody needs to say it. I’m sure I will lose some readers from this but this is my opinion. I know sometimes my personality comes off crass in writing but honestly that’s my personality.
Stay classy. Stay tactful. Stay sexy.
PS I love you
PPS I added a “like” feature on my blog posts so you can “like” the content without having to leave a comment. I guess I should have added a “dislike” one too. It’s the little heart at the bottom of the post…
Nymphette- Ill take one in every color please! Confessions of a fashion and beauty addict
Makeup Artist. Music Nerd. Foodie. Read more from this author